Connect to a BigQuery instance
To access an Google BigQuery project, Hackolade currently supports access through a Service Account associated with your Google Could project. Credentials are loaded from a file created in the Google IAM & Admin console by your administrator.
Give a meaningful name to the connection, optionally provide a specific project id, and reference the path and name of the key file provided by your administrator.
The Hackolade process for reverse-engineering of Google BigQuery datasets includes the execution of SQL statements to discover datasets, tables and views, columns and their data types.
Instructions to create a Service Account key file
Here are the steps to follow:
1) go to the IAM console, and choose Service Accounts in the menu
2) select an existing project, and press the button + Create a Service Account
3) provide the service account details, and create
4) grant the following service account access to the project:
- BigQuery Data Viewer: in order to be able to perform reverse-engineering
- BigQuery Data Editor: in order to be able to forward-engineer (apply SQL script to instance)
- BigQuery Job User: in order to be able to forward-engineer (apply SQL script to instance)
then save the role
5) select the action Manage Keys for the service account:
and create a new key with JSON type. The .json file gets downloaded in the browser.
This is the file to be referenced in the connection settings dialog.